Sample Plays in Progress Call for Submissions
Athena Project is proud to announce the call for submissions for its Plays In Progress Series (PIPS). Three to six new plays will be selected based on a blind submission process and given a dramaturg, director, and cast for presentation. This PIP Series is an opportunity for new plays to be developed in the model of a Table Reading which includes approximately 3-5 hours of video conference time with the dramaturg, director, and playwright and 1.5 hours of read-through/rehearsal before the performance. The dramaturg will moderate a talkback following the public performance. Over the course of approximately April and May 2021, conferences will take place with rehearsal and presentation to take place in early June in Denver at a location to be determined. Scripts are accepted from March 1 – April 15, 2020.
Submission Guidelines are as follows:
1. Playwright must be a woman* and may submit only ONE full-length script. Full-length is defined by at least 60 pages in standard playscript format.
2. Previously unproduced plays only. Scripts with prior workshops, readings or academic productions are accepted, but the script should be revised for the playwright to get the most from this opportunity.
3. Submission must include:
- BLIND script in PDF format – PAGE ONE of PDF script MUST have TITLE, CHARACTER BREAKDOWN & SYNOPSIS of script, 200-word limit (This PDF must contain NO playwright contact info**)
- Resume in PDF format
4. Plays submitted without supporting material will be disqualified. Presently, we cannot accept musicals.
5. We recommend the playwright be able to travel to the area for the performance weekend at her own expense. We will select 3-6 playwrights to participate in the PIP Series and hope to strike a balance between local and national work. Exact schedules will be worked out with the director, dramaturg, and playwright. See the timeline below. Travel stipends are offered.
6. After you submit, you will see an immediate confirmation statement in the submission form informing you of receipt of your materials by Athena Project’s Literary Manager. Queries should be directed to LiteraryManager@AthenaProjectArts.org.
7. Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
*At Athena Project, we believe that “woman” means many things and can be a complicated term. We recognize that the term “woman” does not automatically include all aspects of the gender spectrum. We want to create a safer space for the expression and growth for all women, trans and gender-nonconforming individuals.
**Contact information must be listed ONLY on resume and submission form, not on the script, the first page of which will be its title, a character breakdown and a short synopsis (submissions will be read blind).
- April 15, 2020*** – Deadline to submit all materials.
- October 2020 – Three – six finalists will be selected
- April 2021 – Directors and Dramaturgs will be selected
- May 2021 – Casting
- June 2021 – Plays In Progress Series
***Athena Project reserves the right to close submissions before April 15, 2020, depending on the number of submissions received.