PLEASE NOTE SUPER-FAST TURNAROUND REQUIREMENT ON COMPLETING THIS COMMISSION.
Athena Project* in collaboration with Denver Milk Market and Dairy Block are seeking 8 additional Artists to create an art piece to be exhibited as part of an Installation taking place from March 1-31, 2021. The theme of the Installation is Women in Their Infinite Forms. Artists will be commissioned to design and build their interpretation of this theme using women mannequins as the base of the artwork.
In addition, selected Artists will be invited to participate in a LiveStreaming and/or Live Creating demonstration of the design of the piece event at a Galentine’s Day brunch taking place February 13, between 11am-4pm at Denver Milk Market in Denver. During that time, this event will be happening also in safely socially distanced spaces within and around the Denver Milk Market and are contingent upon the Artists comfort level. Installation pieces are expected to be completed in full by March 1 and delivered to the Milk Market between 10am-noon on that day.
The Artist reception, “Art Strut,” will be held in the alley of Denver Milk Market as a happy hour from 4pm-6pm on Saturday, March 13. On this same day, Artists may also participate in a Pop Up Art Market, held safely and socially distanced in person at various locations within the Denver Milk Market. At this event, Artists will be able to showcase their art/sell pieces (as applicable). Artists will retain 100% of the proceeds for pieces sold at the Pop Up Art Market.
Neither the LiveStream/Live Create, the “Art Strut,” nor the Pop Up Art Market are required for an Artist to participate in this commission. Artists will be paid as long as they complete a fully realized design of Women in Their Infinite Forms by load in on March 1, 2021.
Patrons and corporate underwriters of Denver Milk Market will be invited to bid on their favorite mannequins as part of a silent auction throughout the month of March. Mannequins will go home with the highest bidder for each. All proceeds collected from the silent auction will be divided equally among all participating Artists, less a 15% production fee paid to Athena Project. The auction share will be paid within 2 weeks after the close of the Installation on March 31, 2021.
This is a paid commission opportunity of $500 per mannequin and there is an allocation of $300 for materials paid for Denver Milk Market upon pick up of the mannequin.
Opportunities for Artists include:
- All mediums/Artistic disciplines welcome
- Design in whatever medium speaks to you that allows you to “dress” the mannequin based on the theme Women in Their Infinite Forms
- Designers must identify as “woman”** (see note below)
- LiveStream/Live Performance of piece creation for Galentine’s Day Brunch, 11am-4pm on February 13, 2021
- Artists load in from 9am-10:30am that same day
- Opening day of the Installation, March 1, 2021
- Artists load in from 10am-noon on that same day
- Pop-Up Art Market, 11am-4pm on March 13, 2021
- Artists load in from 9am-10:30am that same day
- “Art Strut” Happy Hour Artist Reception, 4pm-6pm on March 13, 2021
- Pay is guaranteed $500 stipend + $300 for materials + a % of silent auction funds raised throughout the exhibition period
- Opportunity to be featured in a Livestream and/or Live Create–a live demonstration of the creative process taking place at Denver Milk Market at the Galentine’s Day Brunch on Feb 13
- Opportunity to showcase mannequin design along the way and take photos of work in progress
- Opportunities for news coverage/media interviews
- Opportunity to have art photographed by professional photographer and pictures shared with Artist for portfolios at Artist reception
Requirements for Artists:
- Must complete a short Google form and agree to a 10-minute interview with Athena Project to hear ideas, answer any questions about this project ahead of time.
- The design must be confined to a mannequin so it can be easily moved from inside to outside and from the Milk Market to its ultimate destination
- Must commit to taking 5 photos or providing content for social media sharing while work is in progress
- Examples include: micro-close-ups of fabric, sharing the song/podcast Artist is listening to while designing, anything to share the process with audiences, etc.
- Must provide Artist information/statement/headshot/contact info/social media handles all listed on Google Form
- No overt nudity or displays of violence as part of Installation or process in design as Milk Market is family-friendly
- Must load in completed artwork from 10-noon on Monday, March 1, 2021
- Arrangements can be made for another time if necessary and approved in advance
- There is a loading zone for drop off at 1800 Wazee St #100, Denver, CO 80202–more details will be provided as the date approaches
- Items will be held in storefronts and be kept safe throughout the month
- During the Installation month, mannequins may be displayed outside and moved inside in the case of severe weather
- Artists will be offered as many cross-promotion opportunities as possible as both Athena Project and Milk Market wish to uplift their works as an individual Artist, including their designs for this Installation
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT IDEAS AND SET UP AN INTERVIEW WITH ATHENA PROJECT IS MIDNIGHT, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2021.
*About Denver Milk Market: Denver Milk Market is an all-local, all-wonderful mix of 16 take-away and dine-in restaurants, bars and retail options. It is one of the nation’s only dining marketplaces led by a single culinary mastermind, Frank Bonanno. Located within the historic Dairy Block development –formerly home to the Windsor Dairy—Denver Milk Market is more than just great food: the community hub is a diverse mix of culinary concepts that invite guests to shop a little, drink a little, eat a little and celebrate a lot. www.denvermilkmarket.com.