Athena Project is Colorado’s nonprofit focused on empowering women through the arts.
The Fund Development Manager heads the ongoing fundraising, planned giving program objectives, and operational needs of the organization. This position coordinates the nonprofit’s donation strategies and staff/volunteer leadership for individuals and corporations and assists with event planning for Athena Project’s annual gala, Cocktails & Comedy.
The Fund Development Manager plans and organizes large-scale fundraising initiatives, works with board members to identify key contacts and builds relationships with donors together with the Executive Producer, identifies and cultivates relationships with prospective major gift donors, grows small donors, oversees in-kind donations, and manages donor database.
With equal passions for people and philanthropy, the Fund Development Manager is a connection-maker with a focus on engaging new, diverse communities in philanthropy and the development of charitable resources.
- Plans major giving programs
- Researches major gift donor prospects, develop donor solicitation strategies for major gift prospects, tracks and assesses major gift fundraising metrics, and works with Executive Producer to grow relationships with major gift donors
- Develops and manages a diverse pipeline of prospective donors and fundholders, identifying and building relationships with qualifying prospects
- Researches and shares key information about fundraising best practices
- Identifies and secures opportunities for Executive Producer to meet with and introduce new potential donors to Athena Project
- identifies and pursues new philanthropic opportunities with past supporters of Athena Project
- In collaboration with the fundraising and communications teams, develops strategies for annual and campaign fundraising to increase aligned funding
- Strategically manages and grows corporate sponsorships in professional networks as a source of new business and relationships
- Recruits and manages volunteers to help with fundraising tasks such as thank you note writing
- Utilizes major giving fundraising and marketing tools, including on-line tools to include social media campaigns
- Works collaboratively with board members, volunteers, and staff on fundraising
- Represents Athena Project at events and meetings, some of which may take place outside of normal business hours, in the evening or on weekends
This job is ideal for someone who is:
- Outgoing — is energized by people and not afraid to ask them for help
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a focused goal setting environment
- Passionate for the arts
The Fund Development Manager reports to the ExecutiveProducer. The Fund Development Manager does not have administrative support or direct reports.
Bachelor’s Degree in Arts, Nonprofit, Business or related field; the equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in comprehensive fundraising methods, including major gifts
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in identifying sources of funding for nonprofit organizations
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in securing corporate sponsorship
- Evidence of meeting organizational fund-raising goals
- Evidence of managing special events
- Facility in using donor management systems
- Skilled communicator, with superior interpersonal, verbal, and written skills
- Time management skills
- Grant writing skills
- Service mentality
- Organizational and Leadership skills
- Successful experience in major gifts fundraising, sales or similar outreach and engagement activities
- Highly organized with strong project management skills including the ability to effectively design, plan, carry out, engage others, and communicate new work
- Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation communication skills including attention to detail Experience in or aptitude for the development and utilization of prospecting donor leads
- Commitment to and experienced in providing exceptional customer service
- Highly proficient user of technology including excellent knowledge of Google Drive/Docs/Sheets and a donor database
- Lived experiences and/or personal understanding and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and a commitment to incorporating them into internal and external work
- Proven track record of working effectively across different settings, communities and issues – with people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives and cultures
- Commitment to the Athena Project’s core values and culture
- Understanding of fund types and charitable giving vehicles, gift planning tools and gifts of complex assets and/or willingness to learn more
- Experience designing and implementing fundraising campaigns
- Bilingual/fluency in Spanish is a plus
Work is remote/virtual. Sometimes there are in-person meetings and in person event attendance is required for networking.
- Flexible schedule
- Additional bonuses as fundraising goals are achieved
- Growth into a Director level position
- Remote/virtual office
The ideal candidate will thrive in a mission- and values-driven, fast-paced, and multifaceted work environment. We seek a colleague who is a highly collaborative team-player and an entrepreneurial self-starter. We want a natural connector and networker who enjoys bringing people together and facilitating introductions and connections. The ideal candidate should have a high degree of emotional intelligence and excellent interpersonal, relational and listening skills, paired with an innate curiosity about people. We seek a candidate who is an outstanding listener and communicator with strong presentation skills and the ability to connect, engage, motivate and inspire others.
Across our team, we value humor, humility and self-awareness, empathy, and strong personal and professional integrity and ethics–if you say you are going to do it, then do it. Athena Project is an evolving organization with an orientation towards growth and learning, so we look for team members who demonstrate flexibility and a growth mindset. The Fund Development Manager will contribute to a positive work environment, finding personal and professional alignment with Athena Project’s mission to advance inclusive, engaged and equitable Greater Denver communities and consistently demonstrating our organization’s culture and values of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, empathy, generosity, community, and transformation through collaboration.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Athena Project believes in the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Athena Project is committed to equal employment opportunities and prohibits the unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Resume AND Cover Letter are both required–please have ready to submit with form.
|Start Date||January 1, 2023 (or earlier for right candidate)|
|Reports to||Executive Producer & Founder, Athena Project|
|Salary||$2500/month plus bonuses depending on money raised.|